Friday, July 12, 2013

Pastor's Wife Blahhhh


“I will NEVER be a pastor’s wife!” I remember too well this solemn vow I told my husband and many others before I got married. Always on the spot, assumed leader of women’s ministries, children’s church, unreasonable expectations of perfectionism.  No thank you. I don’t even like church that much (until we started Family Room Church but that’s a whole nother blog post).

So back in November of last year when my husband was officially ordained, I reminisced about that very reasonable promise I made and proclaimed 13 years ago. But the truth is, unlike many pastors who receive this mysterious “call” to step out into ministry, Chaz was never “called.” God designed Chaz to be a pastor.

Don’t get me wrong, he understands the “stuff” of church more than anyone I know- sermons, music, clear mission statements, small groups, all that technology and light show stuff that make it look and sound good- and how it all fits together. But more important than a few hours on Sunday, he knows that church isn’t about a service. It’s about relationships.  I’ve watched my husband over the past 12 years of marriage mentor many people, starting with kids in his youth group, and help them to achieve various milestones during different seasons of their lives. I don’t think he puts much thought into it.  He just knows and loves people. He loves having people around him at all times of the day (and night). Whether it’s checking out deals at Goodwill, or running to Music Go Round, or playing Settlers of Catan late at night, he always drags someone along with him. And as you spend more time with Chaz, his endless source of passion and joy for life and intolerance for mediocrity start to spill over onto you and you start thinking, “why am I settling for less than God has for me in my career/relationship/insert issue here?)”

As Paul Anderson (Communitas) once said “Chaz has ministry written all over him.”  Ministry moments just seem to follow him around. And as many of you know, a few years ago he saw an incredible opportunity for ministry in San Pedro, an island off the coast of Belize. While on a work trip he was able to visit a difficult neighborhood of this beautiful island that needs to see the Lord work miracles. So I’m happy to join with him and a few others in helping to bring music to the kids of this neighborhood and hope to the people of San Pedro…even if it is as a pastor’s wife.  

Join us: Sound of Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment